Section Six: Infodumps of Monte Cristo

Section Six: Infodumps of Monte Cristo

Just in case anyone would want to do a deeper dive, and would like to see my data (used in compiling all the information on this site), I am making my research available.

The most logical way of  aggregating all this information was an Excel spreadsheet. The presence, or absence of various chapters or plot points in order to compare them became very obvious when placed together this way.

For the serious text abridgements (for teens and adults), going chapter-by-chapter made the most sense. But, due to the various methods used to abridge the novel, some chapters were only partly present, with the rest left on the cutting room floor. So, I started to use the "P" (partial) and "S" (summarized) indicators in my later research stages.

Link: Teen & Adult books

For children's books and comics, going chapter-by-chapter made no sense. Because those books were less than 1/10 the length of the novel, and one chapter in a children's book might contain 6 chapters worth of story. So, I used plot points to track how well kid's books and comics told the story, subplots and all.

The first attempts were unwieldy and "too much information" and had me puzzling over how to present all this info in a way that was useful and readable to the general public. So I stopped, simplified the table, and started to concentrate on the important plot points that were "disposable" to some editors, but "essential" to others. Then I had a formula, and went with it. 

Link: Comics version 1, Too long.

Link: Comics Version 2, Accounts of Monte Cristo styled. 

Comments